This first aid tip is on how to help a choking person or a choking victim.
If victim can speak
- Reassure and encourage coughing to force out the obstruction.
- Never hit on the back.
- If coughing persists seek immediate medical attention.
If victim cannot speak or cough but is conscious
- Confirm if the victim is actually choking.
- From behind, slip your arms around victim’s waist.
- Make a fist with one had and grasp with the other hand. Place above the naval.
- Press into abdomen of the victim with a quick upward thrust.
- Repeat until object is expelled or victim becomes unresponsive.
If victim becomes unresponsive
- Send for help or phone for help yourself.
- With victim’s face up, open airway and attempt to ventilate. If air does not enter victim’s chest, begin CPR.
- REMEMBER to open the airway wide when giving two slow breaths. Look for a foreign object and remove if seen. Blind finger sweeps should not be performed.
- Repeat CPR sequence until airway is cleared or medical personnel arrive.
Giftedminds CommunityAn online platform for smart learning & mentoring
Gain access to unlimited educative and inspiring content, network with mentors, find a counsellor and hang out with peers all in one place.